Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Minestrone Soup

My husband and I both really liked this. It did thicken up and became more like a stew, but it still tasted really good. You could always add more broth/water or use less pasta if you want it a little soupier. This recipe came from a cookbook called "Favorites", which has some really great recipes in it. My sister in-law borrowed it from her friend and then we copied down our favorites. You can only buy this book in Utah, so I am making sure to get it next time I go!

Ingredients:
1 lb. Sausage (I used ground beef)
1 quart water
-Cook sausage and drain - add to soup kettle with water
Then add:
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
1 TBSP parsley flakes
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
2 cups beef broth

Directions:
-Mix ingredients together and simmer for 2-3 hours or until vegetables are tender
Then add:
1 can garbanzo beans (16 oz)
1 can cut green beans (16 oz)
1 cup macaroni
-Bring to a boil and reduce heat
-Cook until macaroni is tender and serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese on top

No comments: