Monday, November 5, 2007

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I have been searching for a really good recipe for a while. I have tried several other versions, and so far this is my favorite. It tastes pretty close to something you would eat in a restaurant.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 -1/4 cloves minced garlic
2-1/4 teaspoons olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoons cumin
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
15 oz. can diced tomatoes
10.5 oz can chicken broth
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
3/4 cup whole corn kernels, cooked (I used 1 cup frozen corn that I cooked in the microwave)
4 oz. can diced green chilies
15 oz. can balck beans, drained
3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
1-1/2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
sliced avocado
shredded cheese
sour cream


Directions:
-In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
-Stir in corn, chilies, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
-Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and sour cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make this tonight, I'll comment tomorrow. Looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh... super yummy! Loved it. I've never had tortilla soup before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I seriously loved it.

Kaitlyn and Brittany said...

I'm glad you liked it! :)